Sunday, May 10, 2020

"Copland" Inspired Apple IIGS Icons 2020

Having recently joined a few different vintage computing groups on Facebook, I found myself inspired to unbox my Apple IIGS and do some creative work with its Finder icons.  Creating icons for GS/OS is something I began doing in the mid-1990's. I created replacement icons for the Finder trashcan that were inspired by the Marvel superhero Ghost Rider and also created an entire set of replacement icons in a 3D style based on a picture spread in an Apple II magazine purporting to be of the upcoming release of the "Copland" version of the Mac OS 8 operating system. I thought it would be fitting if IIGS desktops had that look before Copland actually debuted (ironically Copland was abandoned and replaced by Rhapsody).

Here are some images from a July 1995 issue of MacUser showing some of Copland's 3-D icons:


Here is what an IIGS desktop using my icons looks like:

A display of a IIGS desktop using my Copland inspired icons

My 2020 additions include an "Apple II Forever" banner replacing the icons of Start.GS.OS and GS.OS, new icons for Finder, default device drivers, and a 3.5 drive icon. By coincidence I was on a video call the very day I completed these icons and Apple founder Steve Wozniak unexpectedly participated in the call. I used an image of my GS/OS desktop as my backdrop and can only hope that he saw them. (The two day conference sessions were recorded and will be posted at http://wwnc.online/presentations.html.)

In the IIGS section of my public Google Drive space I have a 2mg disk image of the 2020 icons that can be mounted on a IIGS emulator. There are also downloadable IIGS hard drive disk images with GS/OS 6.0.1 and my icons already installed.

Here are some pictures of the icons:




My Finder related icons with magnifying glasses, Apple II Forever, BASIC.LAUNCHER, and Finder icon inspired by the Apple standard icon.

My 1995 Copland inspired icons for many GS/OS folders


My Copland inspired icons for some common IIGS folders

Less common folders in the Copland inspired theme

My AppleDisk5.25, active/inactive SCSI, and AppleDisk3.5 driver icons

My trash can and disk drive icons installed in the Finder.Icns file

Many standard filetype icons with inactive versions

Copland inspired versions of folders typically found when attached to a Mac OS 8 fileserver

The desktop from my downloadable generic IIGS hard drive images

 

No comments:

Post a Comment